The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), an impartial, neutral and independent organization striving to protect and assist the victims of war and internal violence, has been working in Sudan since 1978. The ICRC is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated person to fill the position of Legal Advisor 2 in Wad Madani.
The position of Legal Adviser in the ICRC Khartoum Delegation aims at supporting the promotion, dissemination and implementation of International Humanitarian Law (IHL) and other relevant legal norms in the domestic context with a view to enhancing respect thereof, improving the ICRC’s dialogue with national authorities and facilitating operational activities and priorities of the ICRC Delegation.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Determines and implements activities aiming at promoting, disseminating, and strengthening the implementation of and respect for IHL and other relevant IHRL norms. Implementation, Dissemination, Promotion
- Coordinates, and conducts research, reports, and analysis on different relevant legal matters (IHL, IHRL, other relevant norms of international law and broader aspects of the domestic legal system in Sudan), in consultation with the Regional Legal Advisor.
- Identifies rooms for developing national legislation aiming at implementing IHL and works towards such development with relevant actors.
- Initiates and organizes events that could facilitate implementation, dissemination, promotion, and development of IHL and other relevant IHRL norms (e.g. Moot Court, Conferences, round tables etc.).
- Coordinates, organizes, and conducts IHL (and IHRL when relevant) dissemination sessions among different relevant audiences (including, but not limited to government officers, legal practitioners. Academics, and SRCS).
- Through bilateral meetings and events, shares ICRC positions on IHL and other relevant legal matters and positions the ICRC as a reference organization on IHL and humanitarian issues.
- Supports the planning, coordination, and implementation of IHL regional events.
- Networking and background work and maintains close working relations with key interlocutors.
- Develops and maintains various networks of Actors of Influence within national authorities (executive, legislative and judiciary), the academic world, and relevant think tanks/NGOs.
- Monitors and is aware of the relevant developments in IHL, IHRL, and national and/or international legal issues.