About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps Europe, formerly known as Mercy Corps Sudan, has been operational in Sudan since 2004 and currently leads humanitarian assistance and longer-term development efforts in conflict-affected South Darfur, South Kordofan, North Kordofan, Gedaref, and Khartoum States, supporting host communities, IDPs, returnees and refugees. Mercy Corps’ current areas of programming include food security and livelihoods, WASH, health, nutrition, peace building and protection, resilience, and Market Systems Development.
General Position Summary
The Head of office will provide the overall leadership, mentoring and management necessary for the effective implementation and timely delivery of all MC humanitarian programs in South Kordofan and North Kordofan States. This individual must coordinate closely with the in-country Director of Programs and other leadership to ensure a consistency and prioritization in strategy, documentation and administrative standards across multiple grants. The position will liaise with key, external contacts such as the state representatives, relevant line ministries, UN and other partner agencies to start-off and oversee these activities and get them on track with speed needed to achieve high quality results within the program timeline. The position is also expected to contribute to the new initiative development.
Duties and responsibilities:
Essential Job Responsibilities
STRATEGY & VISION
- Support the South Kordofan and North Kordofan teams in the delivery of a portfolio of humanitarian programs. This includes new partnerships, technical activities and strategies in the broad sectors of WASH, FSL, MPCA, Health, Nutrition and Peace-Building.
- Support to program managers with technical expertise in these sectors and ensure any and all methodologies used by Mercy Corps and partners are consistent with local law and best international standards.
- Represent Mercy Corps with local authorities, and line ministries, as directed by the Director of Programs in order to align our vision, strategy and activities with emerging needs and strategy.
- Provide leadership and active management support to the Kadugli & El Obeid field offices.
- Support the country leadership to design and execute a vision of humanitarian, peace building and development programming as part of the country strategy. Support the writing of proposals and reporting, as necessary.
TECHNICAL SUPPORT / PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Hands-on support to the start-up of programs and on-going program activities such as WASH, FSL, MPCA and peace-building. In addition to technical program outputs, this includes liaison with Mercy Corps operations, with activities ranging from recruitment and onboarding of team members, secondment and payment mechanisms of professionals from the State Ministries, procurement and also monitoring plans.
- S/he will be onsite at Mercy Corps-operated/supported facilities/intervention areas and provide direct, hands-on oversight to program activities and outreach strategies core to the humanitarian work including the design and execution community campaigns and messaging. Ensure that all campaign materials and trainings are in total compliance with national Ministries’ and international/UN standards.
- Specific, technical oversight to all humanitarian and development work from the onset of the program: ensuring a consistent understanding and compliance across all staff and partners to standards established by local governments, donors, UN agencies and Mercy Corps.
- Support staff to produce Detailed Implementation Plans (DIP), Procurement Plan and Comprehensive Workplans for each of the programs implemented through the field office in South Kordofan and North Kordofan.
- Ensure effective and in-time and within budget Workplan implementations for each programs and report on weekly basis to the Leadership.
- Prepare draft donor reports for the reporting period as required by the donor agreement.
- Adhere to the PM@MC requirements for all programs under implementation.
- Ensure all Mercy Corps HQ or Country Based SOPs are effectively implemented.
- S/he will engage directly with workers and community mobilizers to establish a routine, cadence and flow of work so that the intended program objectives – and emerging needs of the locality – are met.
- Meet with local partners and support their quick adaptation to program activities, objectives and standards. Host and lead kick-off workshops (across partners and departments) for key activities and the shared vision that are at the core of programs.
- S/he will examine the paperwork and reports from each program/project to ensure the data collected is consistent with Mercy Corps and donor requirements and accurately portray the works and conditions.
- Liaise with partners and the line ministries as needed for administrative and technical issues to ensure these programs are totally in line with the government strategy.
- Provide guidance to the M&E team at the onset of monitoring and assessment strategies. Provide direct and technical support to the tools used in these programs so that they accurately capture the data.
- Represent Mercy Corps at relevant Clusters, as required.
- Assist in the recruitment and training of program staff to ensure staff are of the quality and capacity to ensure the successful implementation of all Program activities. Monitor and advise on staffing needs throughout the humanitarian programs in South and North Kordofan state. Ensure evaluations and disciplinary measures are made, as necessary according to MC policy.
- Ensure the close coordination and sharing of information between the various sectors of the program staff including engineering, agriculture, community development and program support with regular program meetings and activity plans.
- Provide direct and ongoing supervision and managerial support to all project managers under the humanitarian portfolios in South and North Kordofan,
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Program Managers – direct supervision
- Operations, HR and Finance – Day to Day Supervision in coordination with the head of departments
Reports Directly To: Director of Programs
Works Directly With: Country Director, PAQ ad MEL, Liaison/Security, Operations, Finance and HR departments.
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
Knowledge and Experience
- This position requires a Bachelor or Master’s Degree in relevant subject.
- 3-4 years’ experience in managerial role.
- History of working effectively and respectfully with host country government, INGO and NGO partners.
- Experience with sub-granting procedures and monitoring under USAID or similar compliance. requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex programming and volatile environment.
- Experience and understanding Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, Health and Nutrition sectors, and Sphere standards. Further experience o Value Chain, Market Systems Development and Peace Building Programs is a plus.
- Experience on Program Assurance and Quality Standards and monitoring and evaluation and report writing.
- Strong communication skills; able to work in person and remotely with a geographically dispersed and culturally distinct teams.
- Fluency in English written and spoken communication required & Arabic
The successful candidate should have the ability to apply high quality standards of programming in our teams, partners and facilities in remote and challenging environments. This requires, patience, good humor while holding stead-fast to international standards in all activities. S/he must be able to work closely with a diverse team to adapt materials and methodologies to best meet the circumstances in targeted communities. S/he must work well across Mercy Corps teams who are not technical experts and are also critical to the success of these programs