Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest private aid organisations in Germany. It is politically independent and non-denominational. Welthungerhilfe is fighting hunger around the world and is focusing its work around the Sustainable Development Goal 2: “Zero Hunger by 2030”.
Head of Project
No. of Post:
14 August 2022
Aim of the Position:
The WASH Engineer fulfils the operational implementation of the project activities related WASH for SDN 1202 UNHCR project.
The position requires a close cooperation and networking with the project target groups. Therefore, the Field Officer will spend a substantial time in the project locations kassala & Gedaref.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct field visits to the proposed areas to identify WASH infrastructure rehabilitations
- Compile Assessment report and work plan for implementation of the proposed activities.
- To conduct need assessment for all water, sanitation infrastructure (Latrine, water supply system, water treatment units etc.) in targeted areas.
- In collaboration with community mobilizer and community health volunteers participate in selection of targeted communities and ensure registration of beneficiaries for all water, sanitation infrastructure (Latrine, water supply system etc.) in targeted areas.
- To conduct technical assessment and feasibility survey for all water and sanitation infrastructure in targeted area
- To assess emergency needs, as requested, especially taking in the broader perspective of hygiene promotions.
2. Program Implementation
- Preparation of BOQs and drawings for all water supply and sanitation infrastructures to be implemented in the targeted areas.
- Execute implementation of all WASH infrastructure activities as per implementation plan, BOQs, drawings and specifications.
- Monitor and supervise WASH activities and ensure effective implementation of the WASH activities.
- Plan, prepare, implement and follow up all project activities WASH and ES/NFI humanitarian response Project in the project locations.
- Facilitate identification of training on sanitation and hygiene facilities for refugees, migrants and host communities
- Maintain material record at construction sites and ensure quality of all material arrived on all sites.
- Validate the progress and quality of work of the contractors and make the connection with the administration and logistics to ensure their payments are done well on time.
- Identify project supplies needs Prepare requisitions and coordinate with operation team to ensure materials arrive timely to work site.
- Taking timely program advances for labor payments and other activities and ensure it’s on time settlement.
- Ensure community participation in all WASH infrastructure activities.
- Ensure all WASH infrastructure activities are well coordinated with local authorities (LWSC) and all stakeholders, Also ensure integration of engineering activities with hygiene promotion activities.
- Technical Training of WASH committees and volunteers.
- Regular visits to field areas to supervise all WASH infrastructure activities and ensuring quality of all WASH infrastructures.
- Conducting water quality analysis in the field locations and updating water quality reports, also to propose recommendations for the water treatment systems.
- Ensure program integration between WASH Teams and other sectors throughout the planning, design and implementation stages to create synergy effects.
- Listen to voice and the suggestion of the community and provide technical guidance and support feedback to provide better understanding of the between Mercy Corps and Community.
- Oversee or create a community-based oversight system for all engineering works done by contractors.
- Ensure a safe working environment for all people involved in project implementation.
3. Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
Ensure that WASH infrastructure construction and rehabilitation works are carried out according to BOQs, drawings, quality standards established by WHH through quality checklists.
Weekly reporting of data in order to follow up the standard project and strategic indicators (number of beneficiaries, number and type of activities completed).
4. Reporting and Documentation:
- Preparation of weekly, monthly and field visit reports and sharing with line manager on timely manner.
- Ensure proper Record keeping for all WASH infrastructure activities in hard and soft form.
- Actively participate in weekly management and team meetings.
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
- University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree in water engineering, civil engineering or any relevant)
- Experience of minimum 3 years in the field of construction, including 1 year in WASH/shelter/infrastructure sector. Experience related to water engineering in a humanitarian setting, including direct experience of repairing and constructing water systems and installing submersible pumps in boreholes, technical expertise should also include water structural design and/or construction.
- Excellent MS Office skills (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access) is mandatory.
- Excellent English language skills (reading, writing, speaking) is mandatory
- Arab language skills (reading, writing, speaking).
Additional position details;
Position: WASH Engineer
Main working areas: Kassala State
Period: until December 2022
Expected Start date: ASAP
Deadline: 14th August 2022 (12:00 PM)
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications, cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, All qualifications, work certificates, nationality card and birth certificates through Sudan JOB website and Labour office Kassala .
interviews will done at WHH Kassala office