Head of Programme Development
No. of Post:
10 August 2022
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises. Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct in-depth assessments of the sector needs in the target sites. With support from senior technical colleagues, carry out WASH assessments in coordination with other thematic areas and/or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific analysis of children’s needs. Use standard Save the Children needs assessment format for data collection
- Based on assessments, provide strategies for early recovery, rehabilitation and development phase of WASH programming and develop concept notes and proposals
- Determine the WASH staffing needs and lead in the organization of the team from interviewing candidates, training & mentoring new staff, and staff supervision.
- With support from Head of program implementation and WASH Technical Specialist, help develop project plans and budgets for WASH grants.
- Provide inputs on strategies for early recovery, rehabilitation and development phase for WASH programming
- Develop concept notes and proposals that includes advocacy messages on WASH
- Implement projects as set out in WASH project planning documents, flagging up both successes and risks to Team Leader.
- Lead the preparation of WASH programme and donor reports.
- Identify project supplies, develop procurement plan and coordinate with the logistics team to ensure materials are available as per implementation plan.
- With MEAL team, develop and carry out monitoring and evaluation activities as agreed in a monitoring and evaluation framework.
- Ensure that projects are carried out with participation from all relevant stakeholders, including disaster affected children and their families.
Implement project activities that adhere to the minimum standards of humanitarian relief and are in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct and other
- Save the Children quality standards.
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Represent Save the Children WASH program at the local and state level.
- In collaboration with Head of Program Implementation, WASH Specialist, MEAL specialist in feeding in learning, experiences and evidence to relevant CO/ Regional advocacy objectives
- Deliver results in line with the current proposals and Save the Children’s strategy and to do this in a way which maintains the reputation of the WASH team and the Humanitarian Department.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the security, health and wellbeing of staff needs of staff are addressed and staff management and other processes and policies and systems reflect Save the Children's principles of equity and fairness.
- To perform such other responsibilities as agreed with your line management.
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
- Minimum 5-6 years of working experience, including minimum 2 years of working in WASH-related humanitarian programmes and management rles.
- Civil engineering or public health, Geologist qualification at least bachelor degree.
- Commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation
- Commitment to capacity building and developing others
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong influencing skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
- Good understanding of local languages.
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts
- Humanitarian programming experience
Females are strongly encouraged to apply for this post.
Application, full CV, copy of qualifications and experience certificates should be delivered directly to HAC Labour Department, Khartoum – End of Gamojoria Street. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for written test and interviews. All inquiries should be addressed directly to Labour Office–HAC Khartoum. Closing date will be on day: 10/08/2022. Any application after this date will not be considered. All interviews done in Save the Children office.
Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents. SCI will be undertaking child safeguarding checks for all candidates. Selected candidate will asked to provide police checking prior to signing contract.
How to apply: : https://stcuk.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=220005UQ&lang=en