Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps (MC) Europe has been working in Sudan since 2009 with the goal of supporting the transition to a fair and lasting peace by implementing programs that promote long-term, sustainable development and contribute to secure, productive and just communities. MC Europe is facilitating recovery by addressing economic recovery needs and laying the groundwork for long-term development. MC Europe’s work in Sudan has three major components: Civil Society Development, Economic Recovery and Development and Humanitarian Assistance with activities that span many sectors including agriculture, market and livelihoods development, water/sanitation, capacity building, peace building, infrastructure rehabilitation, emergency distribution. MC Europe is committed to long-term programming in Sudan and faces numerous opportunities for expansion.
Mercy Corps together with a consortium of INGOs is supporting the Government of Sudan in the roll out of the Sudan Family Support Program (SFSP). The program aims to mitigate the adverse effect of economic reform measures for the most vulnerable families in Sudan. Eligible families will receive a monthly payment of $5USD per family member and the end goal is to reach 80% of the population - 32 million citizens. The cash payments are linked to the national ID card number and Mercy Corps will provide support to the enrollment process to ensure that vulnerable households can receive the monthly payments. The project will work in close cooperation with the Ministry of Finance to raise awareness and facilitate the registration of citizens.
General Position Summary
The Project Manager is overall responsible for the strategy, liaison and the day-to-day implementation of program implementation. The Project Manager will work closely with the Team Leader, Director of Programs, Finance Director and Operations Director and support staff (including finance, administration and program) to ensure program objectives are met. The Project Manager will work closely with the program staff and other supporting functions to make sure the day-to-day activities are implemented according to schedule, budget, and required quality. The Project Manager reports directly to the Team Leader with written and oral activity and budget reports (as defined by the Team Leader). The Team Leader will assist the Project Manager in outlining a strategic plan for the implementation of this program including identifying target areas/projects, methods of operation for effective programming and maximum results.
Duties and responsibilities:
Essential Job Responsibilities
- To manage all programmatic operations related to the SFSP Project according to the work plan, program document and implementation strategy. Troubleshoot, as needed, to prevent disruptions in daily program activities Liaise with Team Leader, as necessary.
- Work in close collaboration with the Ministry of Finance in the roll out of the SFSP project in South Darfur state.
- In close collaboration with the Human Resource Manager and the Team Leader build the Program team program staff ensuring that there are fluent communication channels, that the reporting schedule is timely met and that program objectives are achieved.
- Coordinate and share information with the Team Leader and the Director of Programs to ensure overall projects targets and donor obligations are being achieved. Troubleshoot on reporting and programmatic needs. Advise supervisor on suggested improvements and necessities, as required.
- Design and conduct training community in any areas related to the program activities for staff, other trainings, communities and project beneficiaries.
- Design and execute the program detailed implementation plan (DIP), Procurement Plan and any other strategic or programmatic document for successful program implementation.
- Produce written reports on the program activities capturing activities related to SFSP, in the format provided by the Team Leader.
- Produce the first drafts of quarterly reports, semi-annual and annual reports and final reports
- Support Grants and Reporting Specialist to finalize program reports.
- Maintain written correspondence with the Team Leader and other programm staff responding to daily program necessities and workplan implementation.
- Coordinate closely with the Human Resources Manager, and relevant administrative and finance staff to ensure proper logistics, administration, human resources and transport needs of the program are conducted within MC policy and with the maximum benefit to the program.
- Work with the Team Leader to forecast program expenditure and surpluses and deficits to enable adjustments to be made to the program in a timely fashion.
- As security permits, spend a minimum of two weeks a month at the field sites monitoring project implementation and overseeing all projects activities.
- Ensure and oversee the program filing system for all Project related activities in the south and ensure that information is organized according to the reporting and auditing needs of the program. Ensure required levels of confidentiality.
- Ensure the Program quality through PC@MC learning and its application
- Ensure that Program fits into the country strategic objectives and provide input into the strategic plan. Overall responsible for obtaining any permissions or reporting of the Program activities required by the Government.
- Provide written and oral translation and report writing for program staff, as necessary.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps Europe and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure establishment and maintenance of relationships with communities, village councils and local government in the target districts the area. Travel to [other target locations for program meetings.
- Mobilise communities to participate in the design, implementation and maintenance of projects as well as design viable strategies which are both respectful with the local culture and sensitive towards the female population but that are effective in engaging women in the activities of the program.
- Ensure close coordination with relevant government institutions (such as HAC, State Ministry of Agriculture, State Ministry of Health and other relevant government structures.
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Europe Leadership to ensure strategic objectives are met
- Recruit and train the program staff to ensure staff are of the quality and capacity to ensure the successful implementation of all Program activities. Monitor and advise on staffing needs throughout the program. Ensure evaluations and disciplinary measures are made, as necessary according to MC policy.
- Ensure the close coordination and sharing of information between the various sectors of the program staff including engineering, agriculture, community development and program support with regular program meetings and activity plans.
- Provide direct and ongoing supervision and managerial support to all SFSP project staff
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps Europe as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps Europe team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
All BRAC Program Staff
Reports Directly To: Team Leader in south Kordofan
Works Directly With: Director of Programs, Finance Director, Director of Operations, Human Resource Manager, Finance Manager and other support functions.
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
Knowledge and Experience
- This position requires a Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Management, Engineering, Economic or Social Science.
- 5-10 years of experience focused in the management of development Programs involving rural communities to promote sustainable development.
- Experience in project management related to social protection
- Administrative capacity and planning skills to manage a large team of national staff of multiple sectors.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in written.
- Effectively coordinate with district, provincial and national authorities the program activities ensuring that there are synergies built with the national policies. Keep authorities abreast of the progress of the program.
- Extensive travel to program areas is required.
- This position requires excellent command Arabic and English.
- This post requires a high computer literacy with a full knowledge of office applications.
- Sincere commitment to engaging women in community agricultural initiatives.
- Internationally recognized qualification in project or program management or a commitment to obtain the qualification in the early months of work.
- Knowledge of Sphere standards and other training in humanitarian response preferred.
The successful Project Manager demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with team members (international and national personnel) of varied work styles, follow procedures, and meet deadlines. Show ability in written and oral communication skills for regular updates and internal reports in both English and Arabic languages. Demonstrate flexibility and creativity in planning preparing designs of the Detailed Implementation Plan and Procurement Plans, implement checklist for monitoring of multi sector activities problem solving. Be conscientious, with an excellent sense of judgment. Multi task, prioritizing, and simultaneous attention to detail and vision are essential. Strict adhere to Mercy Corps Europe and Mercy Corps Global policies and procedures. A strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, an effective communication skills and ability to prioritize and troubleshoot. Flexibility about work assignments and processes is necessary in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment, coupled with the ability to respond to many new and unpredictable challenges in a demanding program.