Other reporting Line:
Area Manager- West Darfur
F Step: 1
Health and Nutrition Advisor
No. of Post:
West Darfur, Sudan
10 July 2022
Responsible for designing, planning, implementation and Monitoring of the Nutrition activities of the Health and Nutrition Sector; this includes, but is not limited to, coordination, supervision and training of Nutrition staff. Liaise with government, MoH, UN agencies and other NGO representatives as necessary and appropriate.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and supervision of all nutrition programming in all locations under World Relief operations in West Darfur.
- Supervise the safe and efficient management of nutrition supplies and equipment’s in the project areas.
- Ensure timely and accurate data collection systems, monitor data for accuracy, and provide data analysis as required for timely detection of nutrition related problems.
- Coordinate nutrition activities effectively with state MoH, UN agencies (UNICEF and WFP and WHO), other implementing partners and funding agencies.
- Assess staff training needs and make appropriate referrals for training.
- Coordinate nutrition program development with local counterparts (NNGOs, state MoH, local leadership) with a focus on using a community development approach at all stages of program planning and implementation.
- Where required, organize, facilitate and/or provide training for nutrition personnel.
- Ensure compliance with WFP, UNICEF and other MoH guidelines in each program component.
- Alert health and nutrition advisor and Area Program Manager to opportunities for funding or Gifts in Kind which come to the attention of the incumbent (e.g. food items and medical supplies from the partners UNICEF, WFP, WHO etc.
- Play an active role in development of proposals, budget and project review processes.
- Promote the development of a sustainable nutrition program by offering creative ideas and new approaches to solving problems in the nutrition program.
- Conduct regular communications with MoH officials, local community leaders, local authorities and partners in Central Darfur to coordinate the nutrition promotion activities of the project and inform about the progress made and to ensure sustainability of the project.
- Plan activities for the community around the nutrition teaching/ promotion activities.
- Perform all human resources functions for direct reports hire, train, evaluate and terminate the contracts.
- Supervise the Nutrition staff to insure they run the supplementary feeding centres and carries out nutrition activities according to the established work plans.
- Coordinate and supervise the training of the nutrition monitors on Community based Management of Acute Malnutrition CMAM, Growth Monitoring and community mobilization and sensitization strategies.
- Monitor and report progress and problems to the Area program manager.
- Analyze the collected information for follow up of nutrition status and strengthen implementation strategies of the nutrition activities and for reporting purposes as required by funders and the World Relief partners.
- Whenever required, to translate for the sector head and/or colleagues in the carrying out of the nutrition sector tasks or other work-related situation
- Provided technical matters as they arise and offer advice.
- Coordinate with other World Relief programs in each field with full support for an integrated approach to community development.
- Reflect an example of WR character, code of conduct and mission in all interactions with WR staff and community members.
- Attending all Nutrition coordination meetings in West Darfur state and giving of updates of health and nutrition sector activities in the cluster meetings
- Other related duties that may be assigned to you from time to time by the Area Program Manager or The Country Director.
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
- Degree in Nutrition or Public Health, Masters of Public Health or nutrition will be an advantage.
- 5 years Nutrition program management experience, preferably in a complex emergency.
- Clearly demonstrated ability to design, implement, and evaluate technical nutrition sector assessments using established and recognized assessment methodologies.
- Competence in the use of MS Office.
- Strong capacity building and facilitation skills, accompanied with cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written).
- Ability to work in and contribute to team building environment.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources.
- This position is based in West Darfur, overnight stays in the field (WR established bases) are mandatory for this position. Monthly travel to and from filed sites is expected.
- Operating environment is extremely volatile, with security restrictions in force.
- Normal working hours are 8:00 am to 4:00pm, Sunday to Thursday. When in the field the hours may at times be adjusted in the light of the prevailing emergency situation being addressed or as required by the supervisor or job description. Total working hours per week is 40 hours.
- Spend over 50% of the contract period in the field.
Important Employee Information
WR forbids any smoking, drinking and substance abuse by its staff during working hours.
The staff is expected to treat the supervisor and other WR staff, community and visitors with respect.
Under no circumstance shall the staff entertain personal visitors within the WR compound. (EXCEPT AS APPROVED BY IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR)
Immediate dismissal may result from the following:
- Drinking alcoholic beverages, being in a drunken state, showing characteristics of drugs or other substance abuse.
- Theft of any equipment, commodity or item that belongs to WR.
All CVs with certificates & cover letter submit to labor office Geniena.
Close Date: 10/7/2022